Re: diffs and antiques

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: diffs and antiques
From: mit-eddie!iris.brown.edu!ejd@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Fri, 4 May 90 16:43:45 EDT
Jim Muller writes:
> The Haynes and Bentley manuals
> just say politely "remove bolts and with a jack or a friend, gently lower the
> diff..."  Uh-huh.  Where are my fiends now. I wonder?
                                  ^^^^^^

        Sounds like your fiends are right where everyone's fiends
are - exactly where you want them least, like freezing the leaf to the
diff.

        In cases like this I find that a Sharp Whack often works better
than Big Force, like letting the car's weight bear on the part.  The
shock of a S-W tends to loosen things, where B-F tends to bend them.

        Either that, or the Sharp Whack f***s things up _Real Bad_.
But IME it seems to work pretty well.

Good luck,

ed devinney

PS: I had the misfortune of fitting a new top skin to my Miata last weekend,
after it was customized by Persons Unknown - probably a traveling Up With
People troupe or something.  My neighbor, who has reskinned his various
Jags, Loti, and Alfas, was impressed by the easy fitting.  Then again,
at $550 for the new cloth, maybe that should just stand to reason.