Re: Car Survey

To: com!british-cars%alliant@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: Car Survey
From: linus!xait!pyrthoth.pyramid.com!robbp@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Rob Pryor)
Date: Fri, 4 May 90 17:21:41 PDT
>Now I was under the impression that 5 was show quality, 4 was really good
>but could use some work, 3 was daily driver type, etc.

C'mon guys, 'fess up, some of you weren't paying attention to the message
I sent.  I suggested a 1 to 6 scale, with the following definitions.

1)  Mint; show quality

2)  Excellent; not show quality, but everything works and the paint, body
    and interior show no defects or wear.

3)  Good; not everything works, the paint, body and interior not perfect
    but nothing needs immediate attention.

4)  Fair; some mechanical work is needed to put the car in proper working
    order, it could use paint/body work; however, the car is driveable.

5)  Poor/Under (re)construction;  Car needs work to be driveable again.
    Everything is there, car is restoreable.

6)  Basket Case/Parts Car;  Parts may not all be there, car may or may
    not be restoreable.

These are, I believe, the same rough classifications you can find some of
the car valuation books you see in the bookstore.

Now, from some of the responses I have been getting, I was beginning to
suspect that there might have been some confusion about the rating system.
Now I know! :-(  For those of you who thought the rating definition was
different from the above and sent in a response, please do just the
following:  Send me mail saying that you thought the rating was different
from the above.  Don't send another list of your cars.  I will assume that
you were thinking that 6 was the best and 1 was the worst and make the
corresponding adjustment.  I plan to send out the complete car list when I
think I'm done, and I will take corrections.  The corrected list would only
be posted if there are enough corrections above a certain threshold.
Before I post the car list, I will send out a list of those who responded
so far to make sure that I haven't deleted any responses without realizing
it.

Alternate paths to me can be had using   ames.arc.nasa.gov   or   sun.com:

robbp%pyramid.com@ames.arc.nasa.gov
robbp%pyramid.com@sun.com

Thanks.
--