Re: [Bricklin] Oil Pressure Issue

To: "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Bricklin] Oil Pressure Issue
From: "Rick at High Tech Coatings" <rick@hightechcoatings.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 05:15:11 -0400
Greg the amc oil pumps suck!  a couple of thing s to check is for scores in
the housing and end play on the gears. I do not know off hand what the
clearances are but they are very important with the amc pump. If the housing
is scored you will need to replace the entire timing cover, AN OEM original
housing will be in the 400-500 range IF you can find one. You can get a crown
reproduction for less but the quality is sometimes spotty.
 also check the drive gear on the distributor since it drives the oil pump. if
the timing gear on the cam wasn't perfect and had the usual flash on it the
distributor drive gear will either not sit straight and wobble or not get the
right amount of oil on it and wear causing a loss of oil pressure. If you have
good oil pressure when cold, but low when warm it is usually a endplay or gear
clearance problem. if there are scores or wear on the end plate of the pump
(where the hoses attach) then it will need to resurfaced or a "wearplate"
installed. if you go to bulltear.com forums they have a pretty good amc forum
there and had a big section on oil pumps and cam gear issues.
http://bulltear.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=25&sid=3a4f9e2e8494268c5020b0f3994
cfc2d
Hopefully it is just a clearance issue you can cure with a new wearplate and
gasket,  If you cant do a quick fix for the pressure unfortunately you will
pulling the engine again to check your bearing clearance as the bearings may
have already been damaged. sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
 Rick