Re: Over heating #2121

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Over heating #2121
From: Seth <sbunin@cablespeed.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 22:06:24 -0400
I have to agree with John, it doesn't make sense. While B's run hot,
they don't
typically run that hot. To get them running that hot one of the
following has to
occur:

a) The thermostat doesn't open (or doesn't open all the way)
b) The Radiator is clogged
c) The fan isn't pulling air (fan clutch is cooked)
d) Low coolant

There are more exotic problems like engine running so poorly it runs
ultra hot,
but I'm guessing you'd notice that. Any chance the pulleys have been changed
and they put the wrong size pulleys on (making the water pump spin slower)?

At this point I'd start with easy ones:
1) pull the thermostat (make sure it was put in the correct way while
your looking)
    and see if that helps
2) See if it overheats sitting idling or only at highway cruising speeds
(fan clutch)
3) the turning the heater on gives more "radiator" surface area. If this
helps and
    the above don't, I'd start looking back at the radiator.

Keep in mind, with outside temps in the 100's, I'd expect a B to run in the
210-220 zone. With a 16lb radiator cap, you're good up to 244 before you'll
boil over (assuming 50/50 coolant).

Seth