Re: Over heating #2121

To: Breton48 <breton48@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Over heating #2121
From: klasicars <klasicars@mywdo.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 19:49:11 -0600
Breton48 wrote:
> The shop tech checked the engine/timing, etc... the car has brand new water
> pump, no leaks, over sized radiator/hoses are also brand new, there is an
> electric fan in front of the radiator as well as the regular fan... what
> now?
>
> Kind of a bummer... I was looking forward to drive the SV1 the 1200 miles
> from So Cal to my new home in Colorado, but it seems the Bricklin is now
> destined for a ride on my trailer!
>
> JLC

/Honestly I hesitated in responding to this interesting problem but I
want this
Bricklin to safely join us in Colorado. If it was my car I would focus
on the
new fan/old fan setup. I have had to deal with overheating on my '68 AMX.
I installed an electric fan in front of the radiator but I removed the
blades
from the water pump pulley (original mechanical setup). I did this for two
reasons: 1) it eliminated the power drain of the original fan  2) I read an
article that suggested the two fans do not work in unison as you expect.
Their theory was air would be forced in at a different rate as it is being
pulled through thus creating erratic flow and hot spots. Now you know why
I hesitated in writing this.....it just sounds funny. HOWEVER it worked
great on my AMX (HiPo 390cid) even on summer cruises.

Another weird thing that may have occurred is the electric fan may have
been connected (wrong polarity) so it is running backwards.

You've already covered the normal things so I thought this couldn't
hurt. ;-)

Don,

/