RE: Fuel Pump

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Fuel Pump
From: "Early, Stephen" <Stephen.Early@mbna.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 15:33:48 -0500
The theory behind wiring an electric pump to the oil pressure sensor is that if
the engine looses oil pressure the pump will shut off, causing the engine to
quit due to fuel starvation rather than seizing up.

My opinion on this theory is, maybe so-maybe not.  I've seen engines seize
within seconds of the oil pressure dropping to zero.  By the time you burn off
the fuel in the carb bowl and therefore cause the engine to quit, you would
sustain substantial bearing damage.

Another reason not to wire this way is unless you wire the pump so it runs
momentarily after you turn the key on, even if there is zero oil pressure, you
are starting the car off the fuel in the bowl only.  That's okay if there is
any in there.  My B sits more than the average car and I'd bet some or all of
the fuel in the bowl evaporates between uses.  In that situation and with an
electric pump wired to the oil pressure switch, my car would not start until I
cranked it long enough to build up oil pressure, allowing the pump to start and
then fill the bowl.  I think that's a lot of cranking.

Stephen I. Early
Technology Sector
Bank of America Corporation
800.441.7048 x74788