Re: door elect. solenoid wiring ??

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: door elect. solenoid wiring ??
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:20:09 -0500
At 03:50 PM 12/30/2004 -0800, you wrote:

>No pics, but according to the sketches I made when I
>replaced all the hydraulic system wiring, the wires
>from the door latch solenoids were continuous to the
>armrest rocker switches (no splicing), and of
>sufficent guage/flex/jacketing to feel comfortable
>reusing.

Greg,

Thanks for the info.  I thought the sketches I made showed a connector.
That's what prompted all this.  I really don't have to worry about this
problem as I've replaced my electric solenoids with Terry's air latch
solenoids.

I tried testing the solenoids that were with my car when I got it, and they
didn't want to pull worth a darn.  This was wiring them streight to a
battery.  So I opted out from the get go.

But in writing this article from the notes taken working on my doors, and
some notes from Terry, I figured I'd mention the electric wires and solenoids.
Terry recommends replacing the wire from the solenoid.  But the several that
I know of that have failed in the last year, all failed at the flex point
between the door and the roof.  I remember working on 1191, Jim Kellerher's
car, when his broke.  As I said, we tried for over 1/2 hr to get the wire
out with no luck.

So I was going to recommend that the wire that goes through the door and
roof be replaced if the skin is off the door.

>Unfortunately, there were very shoddily done splices
>buried in the harness, causing a minor fire that
>motivated me to design a low current interposing relay
>system, which I believe I sent you copies of ages ago.

Don't remember that persay.  I've been through a lot of the pictures on
my computer lately, looking for pictures for this article, and I don't
remember seeing anything like that.  You may have sent me hardcopy.  I
haven't looked through all the papers I have filed.  My filing system isn't
very good either.  Just a large pile on the floor. :)

>PS: Was there a Vol 29, #4 issue? I didn't get one,
>but I know that articles are hard to come by, so
>wasn't sure...... I keep mine in the hopes that some
>day I can mess with it, but it has decayed more
>sitting in the garage since the fire than when it was
>regularly driven, increasing the 'start-up' cost with
>time. :^(

Yes it was.  It was entirely about the meet at Horses Head, NY.
You should have definately received it by now!  I'll see what I can
do about getting one sent out to you.

>One of the tweaks I wanted to do was replace the
>headlight vacuum actuators (mine are busted) with
>little electric solenoid rams, which at a glance seems
>a relatively simple/elegant DIY solution to the parts
>availability and Bricklin 'wink' issues.

Might not be a bad idea.  I seem to remember someone else doing something
like that.  I don't know if the electric will give enough pull/push to
over come the force in the hing mechanism.  But worth a try.  The other
option would be to install Terry's air headlight system.

Phone:  (757) 495-8229