Air Scoop

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Air Scoop
From: Isensee@aol.com
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 19:16:01 EST
Several folks asked for pictures comparing the new air scoop and the old one.
I have already installed the new scoop so can't put them side by side without
pulling it off the car, but I have posted a picture of each. The new scoop is
at http://members.aol.com/Brickcar/bricklinscoop.jpg and the old scoop is at
http://members.aol.com/Brickcar/bricklinoldscoop.jpg

The old scoop grabbed air from under the car and moved it toward the
radiator, but the radiator was nearly blocked from direct airflow by the
bumper and body panels. The new scoop is a compound piece which not only
gathers air from under the car, but also provides a direct path to the lower
part of the radiator.

I got the new style air scoop from Terry Tanner. So far, it seems to be
helping, but warmer weather next year will be the real test.

You may also notice from the picture, that I removed the front license plate.
One of my other cars is a Studebaker Avanti which is a bottom feeder with
overheating problems like the Bricklin. A member of the Avanti newsgroup
pointed out that the license plate on the Avanti very effectively deflects
air away from the radiator. I pulled the front plate off and the highway temp
dropped several degrees. It seemed worth a try on the Bricklin. I removed it
at the same time I put on the new air scoop so I can't say for sure if it
helped.

Texas requires front plates, but that doesn't seem to be enforced. I have
driven my Avanti without a front plate for three years and have never been
stopped. I carry the front plate with me so I can put it back on if I get
stopped.

Scott Isensee