Air scoop

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Air scoop
From: Isensee@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 10:12:20 EST
I installed Terry's new air scoop which was described in the last issue of
the Brickline. Here is my experience with it so far.

You need to drill out the rivets which hold the old air scoop in place to
remove it. You cut opening in the new air scoop for the towing plates to pass
through. You drill holes to bolt the scoop to the fenders. The scoop comes
painted black.

The fit wasn't perfect. The portion which contacts the radiator support
didn't lie flat against the support. Part of the scoop hung down below the
sides of the fenders and I had to trim it so it isn't visible. None of this
really effects the final appearance or performance of the scoop. Perhaps
there is so much variability in Bricklins that it is hard to make a part that
fits them all well.

It is helping with cooling from what I can tell so far. I have a 180
thermostat and my Bricklin usually runs between 190 and 210 on the highway.
With the new scoop it has consistently stayed right at 180 under all
conditions. Of course, this time of year it isn't a severe test. I have been
driving it in 50 and 60 degree outside temperatures. It often gets to 100 in
my part of Texas in the summer so I'll give it a real stress test next year.

I am wondering how durable the scoop will be. The original scoop would often
scape when I went up or down sloped driveways. It was plastic and had lots of
give. The new scoop hangs down about the same amount, but is fiberglas which
flexes less than plastic. Time will tell.

Scott Isensee