Re: Air Scoop vs twin elec fans--

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>, <Isensee@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Air Scoop vs twin elec fans--
From: "alphachi" <alphachi@writeme.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 01:11:25 -0500
Thanks for the pics Scott.  I have a few concerns.
First, as you stated, TT's scoop may be more vulnerable to damage, and by
design and material, this is highly likely.
Second, it may help at highway speeds, but in stop and go traffic I doubt
any improvement.
Third, as with any classic, keeping the original intact as much as possible,
especially the body style, is usually paramount.
Finally, other alternatives may be less expensive and more effective over a
wider range of driving.  I can certainly testify to the effectiveness of
Flex-a Lite's twin slimline elec.  fans.

Now, I have upped the HP a significant bit,  added a 4 row radiator core and
fixed  mech 17" fan and Edelbrock waterpump, but I can tell you the biggest
difference is when the elec fans kick in.  With the fans out of circuit, the
car quickly climbs to 240 degrees. However, with them in circuit, the car
hovers around 180-210 regardless of conditions, including stop and go bumper
to bumper(for over an hour), and constant highway speeds, even better.  This
even in high midday Miami summer heat with the a/c working overtime.  The
fans are controlled by a 180 T'stat.

Looking at my Z3 roadster, I've noticed BMW uses both elec and mechanical
fans also so the idea is nothing new.  This mod is also much cheaper to
install, requires no modification to OEM stuff, and no labor in preparing
the fans themselves.   They fit very nicely in front of the condenser
clearing the receiver and Tanner's air pump, and only need a couple of
simple fashioned aluminum bar brackets to affix it solidly.  Getting to the
area to install them is as easy as removing the original scoop.
Just another thought to the B's heat problems.

stephan #2821