Re: Purchasing Advice

To: jmcburne@optonline.net
Subject: Re: Purchasing Advice
From: GLCurley@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 13:23:16 EST
>Hi, I am new to the list and have a few questions. First I was wondering
>if I could get a decent Bricklin for $4-5,000?
I would also say maybe.  You should just expect to spend more time and money
later.  If something is a low price you generally get what you pay for.  Most
cars in that price range will probably need door rebuilds.  You can take it to
Terry and get both doors overhauled and the roof replaced and that will
alleviate a lot of problems.  You could just factor that restoration cost into
your pruchase price.  Of course, since you are then replacing three panels (2
doors and roof), you will probably want to paint the car...
One thing to add about mechanical work is don't expect to just pull in to any
shop and have the work done.  You will almost always need to research a part
number for even the most basic item.  Fortunately, thanks to the work that the
club and individuals have done, and this list, getting parts info is fairly
manageable.  Also, many repair shops are oriented towards repairs to current
model cars, with electronic diagnostics, etc.  You might have to look harder
to find someone that even knows how to tune a carburetor.
Bricklins are very dependable.  But I think you really meant dependable to
operate correctly.  They are--once you replace the 25-year-old parts :)
George Curley (#220, 489, 670)