Re: Purchasing Advice

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Purchasing Advice
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 22:52:58 -0500
At 10:25 PM 3/1/99 -0500, James McBuney wrote:

>Hi, I am new to the list and have a few questions. First I was wondering
>if I could get a decent Bricklin for $4-5,000?

James, the answer is an unqualified, emphatic, MAYBE.  Depends on your
definition of decent.  You should be able to get a car that is all there
for that price.  There are a couple of cars for sale that have been drivers
for years.  But don't expect a show car.

>Secondly is getting the car repaired difficult? I have had experience in
>getting a DeLorean repaired and you pretty much have to take it to a
>specialty shop.

Not if you do the work youself.  There are only 3 shops in the country that
specalize in the Brick, one in VA. one in MI and one in CA.  However,
the mechanics are AMC or AMC and Ford.  The 74's have an AMC 360 eng,
and Chrysler xmission.  The 75's have a Ford 351 W and FMX xmission.  Both
have AMC Hornet front suspension.  Consiquently, you should be able to
find a compitent mech. to do most of the normal mechanical work.

>Lastly is it a well built car that is moderately dependable?

If you purchase a used car, it is always a pig in a poke.  However,
mechanically the car should be dependable if it is mechanically sound.
Unfortunately, the only way I know of ensuring any kind of reliability
is to restore the car 1st.  However, I would suggest that if you purchase
one, try to drive it for a while to really get to love the car.  Then
when it breaks, either pull it down and restore it, or fully fix what is
broken and more.  For instance - if you need upper ball joints, look at
doing a complete front end rebuild.  Don't just stop a the part that is
bad.  If you do, you will probably be chasing problems.

Remember the car is 25 years old and what do you want for $5,000.

>I dont want a lemon.

I don't think anyone really wants a lemon.  The car has it quirks,
especially leaking water.  Some of this can be fixed, some of the things,
you just have to learn to live with.

I know this isn't a very specific answer, but then the questions were pretty
broad.

John

 Thanks For all your help, it is much appreciated. -Dan

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V

www.team.net/www/morgan        bricklin.shel.olsy-na.com/bi