Re: To Paint or Not to Paint?

To: "George Schiro" <gschiro@lni.net>, <GLCurley@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: To Paint or Not to Paint?
From: "George Schiro" <gschiro@lni.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 00:06:52 -0500
PS,

I forgot to mention that I did look into the possibility of repairing the
acrylic.  The process used to make the Bricklin's acrylic body panels is
the same used today to make acrylic skinned fiberglass objects such as hot
tubs, bath tubs and shower stalls.  The only difference is that the
manufacturing process has now been refined with much higher yields and with
better quality of finish and structural integrity than Malcom was able to
achieve in the 70's when it was a new and untried technology.

There are people who repair modern acrylic skinned fiberglass bathroom
fixtures when they are cracked or damaged by, say, an impact.  I spoke with
a local repair company but they didn't feel that the repairs would hold up
for a car due to the increased vibration and flexing.  However, that was
only one opinion and there may be some mileage in the repair process.  You
might ask local repairers for their opinion if you have some cracks to
repair and still want to retain the acrylic finish.

George  Schiro