Re: Buying tips

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>, <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Buying tips
From: "George Schiro" <gschiro@lni.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 00:19:41 -0500
Bob of Bob's brickyard told me that he never pays more than $3500 for a
Bricklin with any body panel damage.  But then, he is in the business of
rebuilding the bodies and customizing.  If I recall correctly, he quoted me
about $15,000 to do a complete body replacement including custom painting.
That didn't include getting the engine, drive train, frame etc up to spec.
You have do that first before he works on the car.  Admittedly, he does
nice work but that was a bit too rich for my wallet, so I am doing the work
myself, though it is taking a lot longer.

I suppose the main things to look for are:

1) the condition of the body ( cracks etc -  this can be an expensive
problem )

2) the condition of the frame ( i.e. rust - see brickline for info on areas
at risk -  usually repairable but not as expensive as body panel problems )

3) condition of the engine, suspension, drive train etc.

4) whether the car has air doors and do they work

5) condition of the interior

6) if you are especially interested in having the car in original condition
you need to see what is missing, modified or has been replaced with
alternate components.

If you are not familiar with the cars, you might consider asking advice on
a specific car from people like Bob or Terry or of members of the interest
group who have had some experience with the car.

George Schiro

----------
> From: John T. Blair <jblair@exis.net>
> To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Buying tips
> Date: Friday, February 26, 1999 9:14 PM
>
> At 07:19 PM 2/26/99 -0600, Mitch Huffington wrote:
> >Hello all,
> >    I was just wondering if any body could give me some tips about
> >buying a Bricklin.  I plan to purchase one sometime in the near future.
> >I've been searching the web and papers and have found several cars.  Any
> >information about problem areas or price ranges would be appreciated.
>
> Mitch, for starters try the FAQ on our web page:
bricklin.shel.olsy-na.com/bi