regarding drive-alongs

To: "autox" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: regarding drive-alongs
From: "PAUL TIBBALS" <pault151@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 20:46:41 -0700
Carl said,
    "...but scanning roofs for a cone which the driver can put up or take
    down as needed just like a taxi in-service light seems easy.

    Yes, I know, this suggestion requires both money and time from some new
    hypothetical volunteer since existing hypothetical volunteers are
    already overworked.

    For those of you looking to participate in the parallel 'ride along
    before timed run gives an unfair advantage' argument, the line forms in
    the green room at stage right, take a number and warm up your email
    client and I'm sure your thread will be on in just a few minutes.

    - -Carl"

It's a real pain having opinions both ways on this.  So I'll argue with
myself.  :-)

See, on a driver development basis, ride-alongs are second only to actual
classes.  I was really pleased when a driver asked to ride along with me, and
after the ride I was told,"I'll probably never go that fast, but it's nice to
know what it is like."  Then that driver, also in a FWD car, went out and on
the next run, spun it, maybe for the first time.  I said,"Yes!" because that
meant that the driver's limit was finally being explored.

OTOH, in a competitive class such as the Street Touring groups, it makes a
difference sometimes.  There is probably a significant advantage to those who
get two or three passenger runs in their own cars, and I have been narrowly
beaten by such drivers.  Sometimes both!  (Hi Kristy!)  Was it as a result of
the extra runs?  It does not help at a 3-runs-only National event: it is
specifically prohibited, and that means it probably helps.

As for how to do it, don't worry about volunteer labor - if a driver wants to
advertise for passengers, I like your idea about the mini-cone on the roof.
It sounds like a simple way to do it.  It's up to the driver to put it there,
and to take it down.  Taxi!!  (next up: a ride-along meter!)

So my bottom line?  A no-brainer for drive-alongs with Novices, should be
encouraged.  Maybe I should take four passengers along!  I've done three on a
fun run, actually, it was a hoot.  If the Regions exists solely as a tool to
advance drivers to Nationals, it should be prohibited.  But I don't believe
that serves the majority of members, who will never go.  I'd feel better if
others competing for trophies did not have the advantage. We could make the
policy "ride-alongs only on first run".  Maybe a pain to enforce and would put
more stress on the volunteers.  Appeal to fairness?  Not gonna happen.  So
I'll live with it, and would support some structured way of lessening the
advantage that the drivers have, who drive in a car that someone else would
actually want to drive.
Paul T.