Mazda Zoom Zoom Live!

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Mazda Zoom Zoom Live!
From: Katie Kelly <katiekelly@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:19:33 -0700 (PDT)
I was surprised by the lack of Solo IIers, but I was
wondering, out of those who went, what you thought? I
didn't enjoy waiting in line so much, and that "free"
one meal for the day was a hot dog, but aside from
that, it's pretty nice that they let us drive their
cars in that way, and that they fed us, actually. They
didn't need to do any of this.

Miguel and I did the Performance Challenge and the
School of Zoom, along with Helen B., whom we just
happened to meet up with right after we parked.

I thought the Miata I drove in the Performance
Challenge (autocross) was stronger than my car, but
I'm not fond of its power steering. Overall, I like
how the new Miata looks. But I will always love Lucy.

After our first runs, we stood in line for awhile to
get some professional driving instruction in the RX-8
at the School of Zoom. This was anti-climactic for me
because the only thing my instructor said was a quick
gasp before a turn, and that was it. I don't know if
that's good or bad.

Then it was back to the Performance Challenge. I
really wanted to go as fast as the pro guy did, who
did a 39. But instead I did a 41.6, which made me
famous for about ten minutes and I'm not sure if it's
because I beat the target time, or because, Oh look! A
girl beat the target time! And yet, my predominent
thought was one that's been said before: if I only had
one more run.

Miguel said that I have to remember that this was just
for fun, why am I obsessing over this.

Then we all went to Tillie's Diner for lunch, my fam,
Miguel and me. I couldn't help but notice afterwards
that the sun was shining quite brightly. You know what
that means. Warmer tires. Miguel told me to knock it
off.

Next year. Next year.

-Katie K.