Street Tire and more

To: ba-autox@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Street Tire and more
From: pault151@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 22:19:49 +0000
Richard U <said>, in part:

<SFR has the opposite problem of most regions or chapters; too many people want
to play. Maybe time for the committee to again discuss who to include and who
exclude as was done when SCCA membership became a requirement to limit the
turnout? Maybe time to amend the charter or make a clear statement in The Wheel
and on the website so everyone knows? >

Wow, a voluntary, volunteer-run organization run for common benefit that wants
to discourage membership.  This may be unique in America!   Well, we want
membership, we just want to discourage participation....  Maybe if electronic
pre-reg depresses attendance, that it's just the ticket for us?

<Maybe time for individuals to heed the
advice to attend the meetings if they want to protect their preferences? >

One of my points was that, even though I actually read much of the Wheel,
Sportscar, and even Pylon, is that I never noticed any announcement that
reconfiguration and/or elimination was due up.  So I should know that how?  I'm
not trying to be caustic.  I have been on the boards of several volunteer
groups, and there are several reasons that one might do that.  One of the
primary ones is self-interest.  So if you announce you're going to dig up the
street / eliminate police patrols / install a 15 story building in a
residential neighborhood, the residents are told that this is going to happen.
It seems from other analyses presented here that there was not a current
proponent of STire involved in the decision.  But we can't tell unless the
Minutes provide that level of detail, we just see the result.  I cannot tell if
Barry wanted it to continue but was outvoted.

<I can see where people would be perplexed with a steering committee which
sometimes seems to randomly change directions. Rule 1 in organizational
management is to clearly define and document the objectives.>

Full agreement.  The system is not transparent or documented, except by minutes
appearing four months after the fact.

For what it's worth, Street Touring classes are, like Street Tire, effectively
spec tire classes.  You can run whatever you want, but if you're not on the
Falken or Kumho models in favor, you're not at the top, with rare exceptions.
There is a reasonable variety of cars in each group, the difference being the
similarity of preparation in Street Touring, and not having to do the extra
calculation for the other index to tell who's ahead.  But the large numbers for
all these classes, the tightness of the competition that engenders, and the
number of trophies say to me that there's a dedicated group.  Even if it is
_also_ the place that run-once'rs, tourists, and late sleepers might use as a
matter of convenience.

Paul T.