Street tire class

To: ba-autox@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Street tire class
From: Mark Mervich <mwizard@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:00:48 -0800
Good Morning All,
        I was gone over the wkend so I got to read most of the posts(in digest
fortunately) this morning.
First off, isn't it wonderful that we have so many people who volunteer
their time to make Solo2 work for us!  Especially thanks to John
Stimson, Jerry Mountons, and Richard Urschel for helping to clarify the
issues and to all the other people who contributed to the discussion.
I have been AutoXing for 2 seasons and attending the Steering Committee
mtings for most of this last year.  I am also one of the(is it 74)
people who have driven in STi this last year(w/ a SM WRX).  I would say
that I am one of the "new people" around SFR AutoX and do not have the
"history" which comes w/ long involvement in an organization.
I have been active in several other "volunteer" organizations.  SCCA
AutoX is one of those "clubs", where lots of work is done by many
volunteers and where a person can take just about as big a role as they
want(well, there is a bit of screening for ability and experience).  We
are made up of a group of human being and as such, we sometimes make
mistakes, either individually or collectively.  We also make decisions
and act in ways which someone might prefer were different.  This is
where "as big a role as they want" comes into play.  Anyone can
potentially join the Steering Committee or can just come  and join in
on the discussions.  And, there are lots of things we could do to have
things work better and get more people involved.  Fortunately we are
not dealing w/ lots of money here so people don't get as serious about
it as in say, politics.
One improvement I can see is that we could post the Steering C. minutes
on the web site as well as the mting agenda(a bit more complicated).
The Steering Committee's decision on changing the Street Tire Class was
not made in haste(longest mting I have been to).  The Committee was
trying to solve a problem and we spent over 45 min discussing it(no one
mentioned the first proposal, to just eliminate  the STi class
altogether, which we voted down).  We were not able to come up w/ any
other solution(and this one is working in one of the other regions).
Having a stock street tire class and a mod  STi class is one we should
consider, but I am of the opinion that having cars on street tires race
at the same time as their R tire counterparts will work well.  I
regularly compare my time to that of the Subarus in other classes and
find those people to talk to.  I have little in common w/  most of the
other drivers in the STi class(no offense, especially to the few I do
talk to).  Next year I plan on driving in STX(thanks to some changes in
the rules).
Also, it was not mentioned that we"rushed" to voted on this issue last
week so that it would not become a new rule, in Jan, 2 wks before the
start of the new season.
Thanks again to all who make AutoX available in this region!  And to
anyone who wants to join in on the process, you are more than welcome.
Anyone who wants to help w/ Tech, let me know.
Mark
Mark Mervich
650-367-6326