Re: New Solo 2 Officers for 2005 and change to Street Tire

To: Pat Kelly <lollipop487@comcast.net>, ba-autox@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: New Solo 2 Officers for 2005 and change to Street Tire
From: Matt Drance <mattydrance@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 18:58:06 -0800 (PST)
Hi Pat,

--- Pat Kelly <lollipop487@comcast.net> wrote:
>     However, running them with their base classes
> and compiling the results
> later ends up not being fair to which ever class
> runs under the worse
> conditions.

Excellent point, that's what I get for firing off an
email without stopping to think :-)

>     Two groups of Street Tire might be a good fit.
> What classes would run in
> each one?

Rex already suggested Stock and Everyone Else (STEE),
which is kind of where I was headed with it.  Maybe we
could call it STFF (Fast and Furious).

Again, those were just two off-the-cuff ideas.  The
point is, I think we could dream up something other
than The End Of Street Tire.  Like I said in my first
email, the individual ST "dunce" classes might be the
opposite end of the spectrum -- you win because you
weren't racing against anybody.  That cheapens the
competition IMO.  If GS-ST ends up thin, I could try
my luck in GS, but as you get more serious the skill
gap decreases a lot (I don't see anybody winning GS in
street tires).  So it becomes "if you want a
meaningful trophy, you need to spend another 1K a
year".  I think that would be unfortunate.  We have
(had) a mechanism in place for people with finite
budgets to experience large competition, and I think
it would be a shame to lose that.

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250