Re: Nationals protests

To: <Jeff@winchell.org>
Subject: Re: Nationals protests
From: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:04:02 -0800 (PST)
> So practically speaking, Mark Madarash was insisting that every national
> champion driver had to have national champion level mechanics skills
> too.

Odd, I thought he was insisting that they have legal cars.  It's pointless
to argue that the method of modification doesn't matter, when the method
of modification is what the rules address.  As a different example, the
rules don't state what your maximum turbo boost can be, they state what
components you can/'t modify.

> Maybe, but taking the national championship away from Tom Berry because
> Mark Madarash has some sort of mental problem with mechanics was
> ridiculous. I'm not sure which was more ridiculous, Mark doing this, a
> bunch of other ESP competitors agreeing with it, or the protest
> committee agreeing with it. Either way, I have STRONG reservations about
> competing in ESP for the Solo II Nationals this year.

If you're confident that your car is legal, there's no reason for you to
feel that way.  If you aren't sure, maybe you should check it out.

> Sorry if this comes off strong, but I'm still angry about what happened
> last year to good people.

They had an illegal modification.  Good people can have illegal
modifications.  Both statements can be true.

KeS