Re: What's drawing new members?

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What's drawing new members?
From: Glenn Ellingson <geewiz@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:36:46 -0700
On Friday, August 9, 2002, at 09:48 AM, Larrybsp@aol.com wrote:

> from:larrybsp@aol.com (Larry Stark)
>  Now any wet behind the ears kid can go out and
> buy a highly engineered car with excellent handling right off the show
> room
> floor. All they have to do is write the check after selling their stock
> options. Its instant gratification. The car handles great on the autocross
> course (BMW M3, Honda S2000, Z06 Corvette, Porsche Boxster, etc.) and they
> all think they are Mario Andrettis. I'm assuming they know who he is.
> There
> is no real commitment to the sport. I'm sure some people will get hooked
> but
> what about the long run? Six monthes from now when they are bored with
> their
> new toy and go out and buy a new one will they still autocross it? Don't
> wan't to scratch up my new Boxster do I?

Wow, this has to be one of the best "them damn kids" rants I have heard in
years. Larry, are you really as threatened as you sound by younger people?

And what's wrong with someone who enjoys autocross -- but doesn't make a
lifetime committment? Have they really hurt you that much by autocrossing
for 6 months and then deciding to spend their sundays doing something else?

>          The only quantifiable way to measure growth in the membership is
> track new members vs. members who don't renew. With Solo II you'd also
> have
> to track new members vs. existing member entrants at events to see if are
> coming back or if people are just signing up to run and then don't come
> back.
> If you gaining members faster than your losing them you have growth. If
> not
> your kidding yourself. FWIW.

Rather than track how many people attend events, or ow many people keep
attending events year-after-year, or renewal percentages, or something,
how about we all try to track how many newer autocrossers we personally
encourage or support? SFR is hardly in danger of having too few
autocrossers. If someone has decided that they have autocrossed enough and
want to do something else, that's fine with me. You can't make everyone
love what you love. What you *can* do is be helpful and friendly to new
folks, and make them feel welcome if they want to stay. Which, Larry, I
don't think your sentiment does.

-- Glenn Ellingson, 4-year autocrosser hooked for life, who's plenty
willing to scratch up his second autocross vehicle hitting dirty cones