Re: Going Downhill

To: Darren Madams <darren@madams.com>
Subject: Re: Going Downhill
From: Jim Ochi <jim_ochi@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 17:33:44 -0800
At 05:21 PM 3/6/2002 -0800, Darren Madams wrote:
>More importanly, it's hiding in every braking zone and every straight
>too... Jesus is a pretty good guy to listen to!!!!!!

I like the way Bob Tunnell put it (shamelessly copied from his web site,
http://www.tunnellracing.com):
===============================
An average 60-second autocross course can have as many as 100-150 of what I
call "decision points" in it -- places where the driver unconsciously needs
to make a decision regarding when to get on the gas, when to lift, when to
brake, how much to brake, when to turn into a corner, how sharply to turn
into a corner, when to begin unwinding the wheel out of a corner, etc.
*and* all the various subtleties, variations, and combinations of those
techniques.

The difference between a really good autocrosser and a slug-slow novice may
be as little as a tenth of a second at each decision point -- an
imperceptible amount. (Provided the driver isn't also wondering, "Where is
the next corner?") But multiply that tenth of a second by 100 decision
points and you've now got a 10-second difference between a truly great run
and a very good novice run.

Jim