RE: Going Downhill

To: Bay_Area_Autocross_List <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Going Downhill
From: J C <veloimpreza@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 11:52:26 -0800 (PST)
--- "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com> wrote:
<snip>
> Plus, I see a correlation between cycling and
> autocross, although autocross is MUCH easier.

Don't sell yourself short there. As in any sport being
competitive requires time, energy and focus. With the
exception of ITT's cycling is for the most part a team
sport and the smartest team usually wins (note that I
didn't say strongest). Autocross is more of an
individual sport. I'm still a novice but when I was a
novice novice novice I thought that the car played a
bigger roll than it really did. In reality it appears
as if autocross is 90% driver, and 10% car. This
realization was important for me as it saves me money
(I'm not good enough to feel the need to start
modifying my car... yet). Currently I know that a good
driver can squeeze another 1.5 to 2.5 seconds more
than what I'll get on a (roughly) 1/2 mile course.
Now, I don't have a very good idea on where the hell
those 1.5 to 2.5 seconds are hiding and I don't even
know where to start looking (which is why you'll see
me at autocross school, and also why I'm hoping that
my competition in Novice 6 doesn't show up :-).
Cycling and skiing are sports that I've been into for
a while. I know what my weaknesses are, and I know
what I need to do to improve and reach the next level.
Autocross... almost no clue (but I am improving as my
PAX scores are very slowly moving up the ladder)!!!
Hey, I didn't even start driving a stick until about 2
years ago (bows head in shame) specifically because I
wanted to start autocrossing. Fortunately, everything
I've come across in life benefits greatly from passion
and enthusiasm.

Cheers, Joe