RE: Going Downhill

To: "J C" <veloimpreza@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Going Downhill
From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 12:41:53 -0800
Joe writes...

>> Plus, I see a correlation between cycling and
>> autocross, although autocross is MUCH easier.

>Don't sell yourself short there. As in any sport being
>competitive requires time, energy and focus.

Absolutely, but autocross doesn't have the same physical fitness requirements.
I've been swimming my whole life, all through college, swimming many, many
hours a day, but where's that gold medal? Unrealistic goal. Arms aren't long
enough, hands too small, I don't know. Yet a national championship I feel is
within my reach, although my focus is somewhat blurred presently. But it WAS
within my reach not that long ago, and all it took at that time was the focus
and the drive. And I can pinpoint exactly where it was where I lost the focus,
where I gave up, which proves it was a head game more than anything. The
talent? Everybody's got it as far as I'm concerned. It's more of a question of
wanting it badly enough to make changes that are well within your reach,
although a good sense of balance I guess helps, except I don't even have that.

So riddle me this. I do alright on local open water swims, but I'll never be as
good a swimmer as I am autocrosser (although the way I spin out, my opinion is
changing). I think the mental stuff carried over from all those laps in the
pool, where you hurt so much, it's all you can do to keep up the positivity to
carry you through that next 800 or three or four.

Jesus is right. If all you have is another couple of seconds to squeeze out,
you're on the right track. I'm trying to find those seconds, too. :)

Katie