Re: So how do you do it?

To: "Alan Dahl" <adahl@eskimo.com>
Subject: Re: So how do you do it?
From: "Jerry Mouton" <jerry@moutons.org>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 14:59:13 -0800
Alan,

It's just getting started as much as possible on time,
keeping separation between cars at about 25 secs or so, and
changing workers on the fly.  Then mid-day course walks are
short, drivers meetings, too.  The chiefs work hard to push
people to keep the pace going.  Grid folks work pretty
efficiently, keep 2-3 cars lined up at all times.  Not putting
up with grid guff from competitors, tossing them if they get too
balky in line (this does not happen too much any more)
If there are a few cars running late in a group, feeding them
into the following group instead of making everybody in that
group wait till they are done.

We always have two grids, so the current and next run group can
be getting ready at the same time.

It's funny, the whole thing is pretty disorganized if you watch it
from the point of view of cheifs and workers, pretty much
everyone pitches in and makes things work.  There's an attitude of
keeping things mmoving that everyone shares, and everyone is ready
to pitch in when called.

Jerry

Jerry Mouton        mailto:jerry@moutons.org    Laissez les bons temps rouler!