Re: Local tire shops (was: Looking for Kumho Tires)

To: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Subject: Re: Local tire shops (was: Looking for Kumho Tires)
From: Johann Schubert <jes@rx7.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 07:02:25 -0800
"John J. Stimson-III" wrote:

> I wasn't very happy with the America's Tire in Mountain View.  They
> quoted me $70 for mount and balance over the phone, which they said
> was for balancing on the Hunter GSP9700 machine.  When I arrived, they
> tried to increase the price and then mounted and balanced the tires
> with the standard low-budget equipment.  The GSP9700 machine was
> broken.  In their favor, the tech that put the wheels back on did use
> the torque wrench I brought to torque down the lugnuts.

If you had to bring the torque wrench, I would say that's another strike
against them. They can't afford to buy the tools to do the job right?  :-(

I've had good results at the following shops:
Firestone, Mt. View (racer friendly...)
Wheel Works, Santa Clara (near 101 & San Thomas)
Fred's Import, Morgan Hill (a little expensive, has expensive mounting machine.
        uses nicer than average valve stems, coated weights. They own and use
        torque wrenches. Is a Tire Rack "Recommended Installer" so you can drop
        ship to them. convenient for me... )

John
--
* John Schubert;  Morgan Hill, California
* http://www.rx7.org/jes, http://www.rx7.org