RE: M3 tire question

To: "'J. Ochi'" <jochi@ricochet.net>, Mike Eynon <stingray@onth.com>,
Subject: RE: M3 tire question
From: "Thana, Peter {High~Palo Alto}" <PETER.THANA@ROCHE.COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 21:51:45 -0700
>Rotation will be a problem anyway, because the 96+ M3 only came with the
>7.5" front/8.5" rear rims.  I don't know if there was an option to get the
>7.5" rims all the way around, like on the 1995 M3.  Since you're in a stock

>class, you'll need to do some research and find out if there was a factory
>option to get the 7.5" rims all the way around.

Nope, there was no option for 7.5s all around.  All the later M3s had the
staggered setup.

As far as rotation goes, it's really not that much of a problem.  You should
get very even wear across the whole tire in the rear, and the front will
wear heavily on the outside edge.  So what I do is never rotate them, and
then just before the fronts hit cord on the outside I take them to the shop
and get them flipped.  They you can pretty much get an extra 90% wear on
that axle, and by the time they are finally gone the rears will be about
done too.  When you flip the tires, you don't even need to get them
balanced, so it can cost as little as $10-$12 for 2 tires.  I still find
this is the best way to get maximum usage of my tires, even though I run the
same size wheels and tires on both axles now.

Peter