M3 tire question

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: M3 tire question
From: "Mike Eynon" <stingray@onth.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 13:56:15 -0700
I posted a half question yesterday about this, and got no definitive answer,
so I thought I would post it again stated a little more directly.

<BTW, thanks for all who responded to yesterday's mail>

I want to run a set of racing tires on my '98 M3, and no... I really don't
care about losing my novice standing (Playing with the big kids is how I
improve the fastest).  I have taken the list's advice and gone in search of
Kumhos.  After the comments yesterday, coupled with a little more of my own
research on the web, I agree that these are likely my best choice right
now... but what size?

Right now I am running the stock staggered setup -- 225/45 R17 in front, and
245/40 R17 in the rear.  Kumho actually makes both those size tires with the
exception that the 245 is a 245/45 R17, and I do plan on getting 17 inch
rims for my race wheels.  Enter my dilemma...

The way I see it, I have 3 options --

1.      Get the same size tires that I am running now.  These are sure to fit
without damaging the car, but they come with the same problems that I have
now... mainly that I cannot rotate them.

2.      Get 245s all around.  This sounds great, but I am not sure that they
will
fit.  Besides the extra width, the Kumhos are about .6 inches greater in
diameter... and I don't have all that much room under the front wheel well.
I would definitely need to talk to someone who has direct experience with
this before doing it.  The last thing I wanna do is have to send 2 wheels
back, or have to sell them myself.

3.      Run 225s all around.  This sounded funny to me until my friend pointed
out that the tread width on the 225 Kumho is nearly a half inch wider than
the tread width on my 245 Potenza S02 PP street tire (according to the
TireRack tables).

Anyone...?  I was hoping to get this figured out in time for the next race
down in Marina (2 weeks) but unless someone has a solid recommendation, I
may be waiting a little longer.  My prefered (if I knew they woudl fit)
woudl be 245s all around; but right now I am willing to settle for the
staggered setup.

// Mike Eynon
// Chief Technology Officer
// OnTh Wireless