Re: draft new supplemental regs: comments?

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: draft new supplemental regs: comments?
From: Rich Urschel <OSP13@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:05:55 -0700
One of our many new would be rule writers wrote:

> I would suggest we not limit the rule to cell phones. We should include any
> gadget (such as a PDA, Gameboy) that would distract one's attention from the
> course.

We already have 50 SFR supplemental rules which almost
no one reads, and the SC members, including myself,
can't remember.

We don't need to (and can't) codify every possible unsafe
act. If we have commonly practiced unsafe activities such
as talking on cell phones on course and too fast exits from
the course, then God bless the event chairs for pointing out that those things
are unsafe. We already have a rule (supp 10) for disqualifying participants from
the event for failing to
act safely or failing to heed warnings from the Safety Steward.

We don't need to baby-sit people nor educate them to be
responsible adults. We need to warn them once and then
kick them out. The lives we save may be our own.

I have never felt unsafe working course. I often feel
unsafe writing timing slips with incoming cars that
may or may not be slowing down, and when trying
to get people to move their cars before they get
rear ended. DNF doesn't cut it.

Rich