Proof that cars can talk

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Proof that cars can talk
From: craig boyle <craig_autox@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 13:49:37 -0700 (PDT)
My wife insists that cars are intelligent emotional
beings, I disagree arguing that they are really just
hunks of metal and plastic, that's one reason my car
doesn't have a name although it's license plate
(3LVS..) resembles Elvis.

Maybe she's right.

Friday afternoon saw us at a Honda dealership looking
over a nice new Spa yellow S2000. They could let me
have it for $7500 over MSRP and I'd get a test drive
some time after the paperwork. Despite driving it
nowhere, I got the "if it's what you want.." seal of
approval.

Step forward to Saturday. I'm on grid, ready to run,
helmet on, gloves on. Turn the key: "click" .  Hmmm.
Try it again: "whirr, click" and again and again. Doh!
Wanna psyche yourself out, try this.

Fellow B-stockers Chris and Tony try to give me a push
start, but that does not work. Pat and John Kelly join
in and I get back to the pits and jump-started by a
kind fellow in a BMW.

>From then on, through tire changes and gas fillups,
until the time I get home Saturday afternoon I leave
the engine running. Rolling down the driveway at home,
I'm greeted with "See, it knows you're going to buy an
S2000 and it's sulking" The fact that the Miata had
not been near the Honda dealership was explained by
the fact that our ZX3 *talked* to the Miata at night.

How could I fault the logic?, my own theory was that
Arie Villasol had cast a spell (Joseph Lucas, Prince
of Darkness, style), on the Miata after I made some
jokes about MGB reliability.

So, of course the car starts fine when I shut it down
and again the next morning and all day Sunday.

So fun runs come, and I switch between Rick Gould's
CSP Miata, Eric Cheung's S2000 and Scott L's, '01
Miata Sport. Fortunately, my car is out of earshot,
parked way off in the boonies, so I have no fears
about it getting into any jealous rages.

The S2000 has more power than I'm able to handle, I
can't get it to go fast.  The '01 Miata is so easy to
rotate and position on the track that I wonder if it
wouldn't be a fun car to own. But, I really can't
remember anything as strongly as Rick's car. It was
astounding. I was speechless. It was just like a big
go-kart. Wow!

So, my brief affair with an S2000 over, *my* Miata
starts and runs fine, for now.

So who knows about the right factory options for a
Boxster?  ;-)

Craig