Re: Streamlining the Trailer

To: CCoxx@aol.com
Subject: Re: Streamlining the Trailer
From: Keith Hearn <khearn@Legato.COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 13:20:33 -0700
In message <b7.65dca34.26ddcb9f@aol.com>, CCoxx@aol.com writes:

>  I had another idea to help deal with the lack of PA at GGF.  So that everyon
> knows what is going on with the run groups and gridding and so fourth I would
> propose that we have some 2'x3" cards made up that are numbered 1 thru 8.
> We could hang them on the motorhome to show what groups are running at
> that moment.  That way people would know when to get ready to run because
> they would be able to see what group was running. What do you think.?

That sounds great. We'd want two signs to hang them under, "Now
  Running", and "Now Gridding". My first question when I arrive at any
  event that's already going is "What run group is this?". It'd be nice
  to be able to look at the RV and find out at a glance.

Another idea for GGF is to still have someone sign up in the
  announcer slot, but their job would be "Runner/Crier". They'd
  stand by the door of the trailer and:

  Run around dealing with things that normally get handled by PA
    announcements, like telling the starter to holding the start,
    telling drivers that they need to bring their yellow time sips
    to the trailer, figuring out which driver of a multi-driver car
    is actually about to run, etc.

  Walk through the pits at the appropriate times and call for workers to
    report, cars to come to grid, etc.

  Answer all of the questions about helmets, et cetera that interrupt the
    timing crew.

Incidently, those interruptions when people come into the trail;er and
  ask about helmets or other things can really mess up a smoothly
  operating timing crew. I don't think there's any way to prevent them
  since that's the natural place to go with questions, but the impact
  can be minimized. The person running the timer is usually the least
  busy person in the crew. If at all possible, they should be sitting
  on the side of the table closest to the door so they can handle the
  interruptions.

I think the ideal placement of workers in the RV would be:

  Timer Operator - At the rear side of the table, closest to the door.
  Scorer - At the front side of the table, away from the door.
  Announcer - In the front chair.
  Sorter - The rear chair.
  Pylon Counter - One of the seats in the cab.

This way the time poster can easily reach the sorter to hand back cards.
  The sorter hands the appropriate card to the announcer, who reads the
  info for the car about to start, then puts the card on the table in
  front of the scorer (in running order). The scorer puts cone counts &
  times on the cards and hands them to the timer operator, who keeps
  them until the time poster is ready for a new batch.

This keeps the cards flowing in an organized manner. It puts the
  timer operator by the door to handle interruptions, and the sorter by
  the door for easy access by the time poster. It also puts the
  announcer on the scorer's left, letting them see the times for previous
  runs so they can make comments like "that was a two second
  inprovement!".

  Keith Hearn
  '99 Miata 10AE "Sexy Sadie" the Sapphire Shark
  B-Stock
  Milpitas, CA