Re: Streamlining the Trailer

To: kkelly@spss.com, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Streamlining the Trailer
From: CCoxx@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 22:29:51 EDT
In a message dated 8/29/00 9:53:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time, kkelly@spss.com
writes:

<< Card sorters need to look for more information than just the car number.
You
 have to look at the class, the car make, the car color, the name of the
 driver, etc. I say this, because the OTHER thing that just made me
 completely loopy was the amount of duplicate numbers... in ONE CLASS. We
 were writing down all the right times on all the wrong cards. Then all these
 people came screaming at us.

Card sorting is the most important and most difficult thing to do in the
trailer.
It is most often the one reason why you hear "hold the start".  John Kelly
and I recently had the challenge of having to announce (that was John's job)
, do pilon count, timing, and scoring.  The only other job was card sorting.
The guy who was chosen to do card sorting  had never done it before.
I thought, oh man this is gonna suck.  As luck would have it though just
before
we  were going to get started on this disaster one guy came up and said he
needed to sign in to  work.  He said he wanted to work course because he had
no experience in the trailer.  That  was when it hit me.  I will have this
guy help
the other guy do card sorting.  What they did was have one of them watch
the cars as they were coming to the line and feed all that information to the
person that was doing the sorting.  The guy that sorted kept his head down
and only looked at the cards he had to sort.  When he found the card he was
looking for the other guy would take the card and give it to John.  John would
read off the info and hand it to me.  I would take the cards and put them in
my
buffer zone on the table and write down the times and hand them back to the
guy that was doing the "coaching".  He would put them back into the hands
of the other guy  who would put them back into his pile to sort.  It worked
great!
By having a coach the  card sorter never got behind or had to think to much
about which #7 card to choose because his helper would keep him advised
as to what to do.  We ran cars every 20-25 seconds and never had to hold the
start or give reruns.

 I think in the future we should always have two card sorters per group. It
works
great.

 I had another idea to help deal with the lack of PA at GGF.  So that everyone
knows what is going on with the run groups and gridding and so fourth I would
propose that we have some 2'x3" cards made up that are numbered 1 thru 8.
We could hang them on the motorhome to show what groups are running at
that moment.  That way people would know when to get ready to run because
they would be able to see what group was running. What do you think.?

That's it for now.

Chris