Inner Quandries

To: "'ba-autox@autox.team.net'" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Inner Quandries
From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 11:56:06 -0700
Here's my problem. Lucy's competitive days are numbered. If she had any
chance at Nationals, this would be it, but we're not going, and that's just
the way it is.

It would seem a somewhat logical move would be to just get an MR-2 Spyder,
except that a new car, or even a newer car, is just not an option. Plus,
hello, how are you supposed to fit anything in that budget Boxster.

Lucy's going to have to get her little butt kicked next year, which I
actually deem as a "good thing." I think a year in humility lessons (not
that I ever seem to miss out on this experience) would be quite beneficial
long term.

So, I'm resigned to the possibility that next year will not be a fast year
for either of us. It will be instead a year to learn to really drive the
best I can with what I have, as I think the best scenario, learning wise, is
to put yourself in a situation where you have to struggle a little bit.
Given that, here are the options:

A) Accept that we really have no chance, leave everything as is.

B) Order a new set of Konis, to at least try to be competitive, or at least
closer to it, and to possibly increase the fun factor. According to various
sources, Konis DO get tired, eventually. I've had them on the car for over
60,000 miles. Lucy is my daily driver.

C) Revalve the current set to make them possibly even better than they were
out of the box. This was my intention last year, but then I found a ride in
an MR-2 and tabled that plan.

Now I'm wondering if now it would be even worth options B or C. On the one
hand, I think it would make Lucy *possibly* faster (but you never really
know - it's never as easy as just adding some new part), but on the other,
the MR-2 Spyder and new Miatas could be so much faster, it might not even be
worth the effort. But then again, if it just helps a little bit, even
mentally, maybe I'd still be close enough to at least keep trying. When I DO
get that competitive car, whenever that is, I will have improved as a driver
in the interim. Well, that's just my theory.

Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you much!

Katie K.

P.S. I cannot tell you how much I LOVE Golden Gate Fields. I am so glad that
we're back there again!