RE: DNWs for course workers

To: daver@uclink4.berkeley.edu, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: DNWs for course workers
From: "Kevin Stevens" <kevin_stevens@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 10:51:12 PDT
>This is getting WAY to serious...
>
>  > I think we ought to start handing out some DNWs for course
>  > workers who don't announce cones promptly and accurately,  > don't
>reset the course promptly and >accurately, ...
>
>  > So who is the "WE" that renders this judgement?   > This IS a great way
>to get entry numbers down.   > How many of these people branded as indolent
>will be back?

I don't care.  I'm looking for enjoyable yet structured competition.  That's
what the SCCA is advertising.  That implies accurate scoring and a minimum
of unnecessary reruns for me and my competition.  If the majority of people
don't care about those things, then let's drop the score cards and just have
fun runs all day.

>I have seen plenty of mistakes (and made them), but I have never
>witnessed course workers deliberately ignore downed cones they >actually
>have seen or not reset a course they knew was wrong.

At the last event I attended, I had two separate incidents where cones were
knocked down and the nearest course workers simply stood there and watched.

> > I'm tired of hearing cone counts come in on "the red car" (which
> > has two-foot class and numbers on the sides) ...
>
>Fact of life: sometimes the radio person is viewing the car from the
>rear or front, and can't see the numbers clearly enough to read them.

You know what, Dave?  Part of working course correctly is REGISTERING the
number of each car as it enters your section, so that you CAN provide that
information when calling in cones.  If you can't ever see the side of the
car, you're working on a straightaway and shouldn't need to be there.

KeS