Re: Ethical Question regarding Autocrossing

To: OSP13@attglobal.net, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ethical Question regarding Autocrossing
From: adozzell@sc9.intel.com (TONY OZZELLO P802 AWS)
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 07:14:42 -0700
Rich wrote:

>We make a lot of mistakes running and scoring
>autox events. Don't even think about disagreeing
>with that statement. We're Human, we're unpaid
>volunteers, and sh*t happens. Let's not argue over
>how much a lot is either, ok? My final positions in
>three out of the last four series I've competed in
>were affected by administrative mistakes of various
>kinds. I'm qualified to say it's a lot.
>
>So here's the question. When a mistake is made that
>turns out to be to your competitive advantage, do you
>correct it?

Rich,

If I know a scoring mistake was made in my favor I will correct
it. Even then it's not so clear though. During event 10 I felt
like I hit a cone on every run, but I don't know for sure since
I didn't spin my head and look for a downed cone. I got a second
for that event but it could have been a fourth. If I knew for sure
that I killed a cone on my last run I would ask to have it added,
but I can't really know for sure so I'm stuck trusting the official
results.
But if I knw I DNF'd of something that I was certain about, I'd
correct the error myself.

Tony