Re: Ethical Question regarding Autocrossing

To: "bay area list" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ethical Question regarding Autocrossing
From: "Jerry Mouton" <jerry@moutons.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 20:11:06 -0700
All true, but I would always correct a problem in
my favor, just as I have seen a number of our
fellow competitors do.  I believe we
get about as many requests to change something
that was in favor of the requester as the reverse --
we just got a request to modify a first place time
to a DNF because the driver went off course after
the lights but it was not picked up.

I wouldn't enjoy getting points I didn't deserve.
If all my other competitors did the same, I'd
be no worse off (than I already am ;-)  I'd
feel better if I thought all my competitors
would do the same, but it wouldn't matter.

Isn't it kind of like getting too much change?
I'd always return the excess, occasion
permitting (i.e. I wouldn't drive back
2 miles to give back a quarter, but...)

And I'd let small infractions slip, too.
I know somebody is running wider wheels
than allowed, but it's not a factor in his
results, so why sweat it?

These trophies don't get you into heaven, and
they ain't good to eat. If I know I did not
strictly speaking deserve to get them,
the only good they are is to impress others,
and that's of no interest to me.  If I
know I was faster than somebody else,
I don't need the trophy to prove it.
They are just a game that's not really
directly related to autocross skills,
anyway.  I won A Stock this year,
but there are definitely A Stock
drivers who are faster (See Round 11!)
So just what is the big value of the
championship?

They are mighty nice, though, to be sure.
Mighty nice.  Having them is really
great.  Real keepers!  I just have to keep
in mind what they really mean.

Interessting question, though, Rich.
Might just keep the list alive for the next
few weeks!

Jerry

Jerry Mouton        mailto:jerry@moutons.org    Laissez les bons temps
rouler!