Ethical Question regarding Autocrossing

To: bay area list <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ethical Question regarding Autocrossing
From: Rich Urschel <OSP13@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 18:44:55 -0400
We make a lot of mistakes running and scoring
autox events. Don't even think about disagreeing
with that statement. We're Human, we're unpaid
volunteers, and sh*t happens. Let's not argue over
how much a lot is either, ok? My final positions in
three out of the last four series I've competed in
were affected by administrative mistakes of various
kinds. I'm qualified to say it's a lot.

So here's the question. When a mistake is made that
turns out to be to your competitive advantage, do you
correct it?

I'd like to hear other's opinions, and if you keep
reading, you're going to hear mine (last warning).

By and large, rules are not enforced unless a
competitor protests. Nice people follow the
rules and in general won't protest those who
don't. Double whammy. Now, if you go out of
your way to correct mistakes you happen to
know about that are to your advantage, triple
whammy.

I want to win outright, fairly, and by the rules, but
I figure if I get the occasional break it just offsets
the occasional break my competitors are getting.
Not all mistakes are even known. So my answer
to the question is, "no, I won't go out of my way
to correct a mistake that is to my advantage."  I
figure the mistakes even themselves out over time
if you don't correct the ones you happen to know about.

Rich Urschel

Ps. The sign of the ancient whammy hex is
not to be mistaken for the sign language
symbol for "I love you."