Re: A question of balance

To: Dennis & Sherry Armstrong <Miata@pacbell.net>,
Subject: Re: A question of balance
From: "A.J. Rystad" <ajrystad@2xtreme.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 22:58:34 -0700
At 09:33 AM 5/29/00 -0700, Dennis & Sherry Armstrong wrote:
> Greetings
>I have a question for all of you. How do you balance you
>family life with autocrossing? Or are most of you single,
>divorced & without children?
>
> My wife has been getting angry at me for spending so
>much time autocrossing. This is especially bad because
>I work nights during the week. How do all of you handle
>this situation? Or am I the only guy who is Married with
>Children?

Rumors of my demise are slightly exaggerated. :-)

As most of the 'core members' of SFR/Sac/AAS will attest to, when I was
single, I spent almost every available weekend mashing cones, renting karts
for Pros, driving to Seattle, buying a trailer for nationals, going to Baby
Dolls, etc...

Now that I've been married for a year, I'm lucky to go to an event a year.

But it's not Tami's fault, it's mine.

I choose to spend the money that I used to spend on tires, kart rentals,
etc... on the family.  Baby Dolls is out for the obvious reason that she'll
kill me. I don't mind though, I now have free unlimited lap dances! <g>

When we started dating, I told her that there were  two things I wasn't
going to change, my autocrossing and my game nights with some of my
friends.  I haven't been doing much of either. But it's not that she said no.

Having 2 teenagers doesn't help the tire fund build up either. Seems like
there is something new every week that they "just gotta have."

But I wouldn't trade it for anything, but if someone wanted to gift me a
shifter kart, I wouldn't tun it down. ;-)

My advise, FWIW, is that you work out some sort of compromise with Sherry.
Only go to local events. Only go on Sunday. Help set up the event if you
run in the morning, so your work assignment is over with early so you can
leave when you're done with your runs. Don't hang out all day swapping lies
and bench racing with your friends. Get all your "honey do's" done before
you go autocrossing.

A.J. "I could sacrifice my morality & become a car slut to get my autox
fix" Rystad
1992 MR2T AS (yes, I still have it, just no shoes!)