Re: # of people

To: "Bay_Area_Autocross_List" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: # of people
From: "Jerry Mouton" <jerry@moutons.org>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 08:24:16 -0700
Dennis,

(comments inside)

Jerry Mouton        mailto:jerry@moutons.org    Laissez les bons temps
rouler!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dennis Hale" <dhale_510@yahoo.com>
To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2000 9:30 AM

>   Requisite memberships an elitist mentality that SCCA
> clubracing has always propagated. Surely Solo2 doesn't
> want to go back there. [Remember I USED to be SFR's
> membership chief. Lots of baggage here.] Just avoid
> the club racing solutions of tax and spend. PLEASE
> avoid those "solutions".

I don't get this.  How is members-only "elitist" if anybody
can join at any event?  Especially with the $25.00, 90-day
membership?  It's just a slightly different way to allocate the
money.  There's no rules that exclude anybody from joining.
We seem to be running about 80% members anyway.

Case 1: I don't join

$105.00: I run 3 events in 90 days @ $35.00
$  70.00: I run 2 events in 90 days @ $35.00
$  35.00: I run 1 event in 90 days   @ $35.00

Case 2: I join

$100.00: I run 3 events in 90 days @ $25.00 plus $25.00 membership
$  75.00: I run 2 events in 90 days @ $25.00 plus $25.00 membership
$  50.00: I run 1 event in 90 days   @ $25.00 plus $25.00 membership

Worst case difference is $15.00.  The cost of rubber you'll scrub off at the
first
event is probably gonna be more (of course you don't get a bill for that
right away)
Best case I save $5.00. Plus I get Sports Car and Wheel, other benefits.

>   I don't want to accomodate the fallout! 8-)
>

>   Hey, why not bag the run group and "fairness"
> concepts and just sell the grids in lots of 50 or
> whatever number works best? You could even stagger the
> grid sizes to allow a "slow start" for certain
> chairmen! 8-) 8-). You wanna run at 2 PM, get in line
> early and buy a 2 PM card. 9 AM doen't sell out, no
> problem, you get a bit more time to get things going.

Why not accommodate the fallout?  I always thought that
your excellent NASA events would be a perfect solution
for people who want fun, and learning to autocross rather
than hard bitten competition like SCCA.

Wouldn't the
autocross community be best served by one venue for fun
and learning, one for nationals class competition?
To get there I think we would want to make SCCA more
exclusive, more competitive, and keep NASA looser,
more instructional.  (Of course, there is no "we".)

To get to this place, I am going to vote to limit SCCA
events to 3 runs next SC meeting, changing from years
of opposition.  And I'll be running more NASA events,
like many others I think.  Fallout for you, I guess.
Are you saying you want to keep the NASA events
smaller?

By the way, one of the biggest changes that would move more
people to NASA events is if SCCA goes down to 3 runs, I think.
More than if we require membership.  YMMV

Jerry