Re: # of people

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: # of people
From: Dennis Hale <dhale_510@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 09:30:27 -0700 (PDT)
  This is the third time I have seen this "crisis"
occur in SFR. It always has peaked short of a disaster
before. I suppose 350 is a disaster. DeAnza used to
run 300 routinely but has cut back to 275. I know, the
format is different but it is a data point on the
chart. 300 is a magic number. They turn away about 50
no matter what the limit, what's that about?
 No one likes to be turned away either. A lot more
than they care about 3 vs 4 runs, they don't like to
be turned away. Doesn't matter if they are "in the
points", "on the committee", a "club member", none of
the above, or a first timer. They hate being turned
away. And likely will not come back. Even if they are
"on the committee"!
  The game is a Want not a Need issue. Even in SCCA
Sal! Racers are not all addicts fer goodness sakes. Oh
yeah, we were still talking autocross, I digress. 8-)
  Requisite memberships an elitist mentality that SCCA
clubracing has always propagated. Surely Solo2 doesn't
want to go back there. [Remember I USED to be SFR's
membership chief. Lots of baggage here.] Just avoid
the club racing solutions of tax and spend. PLEASE
avoid those "solutions".
  I don't want to accomodate the fallout! 8-)

  I agree with Rex about three runs. If ya don't have
time for 4, maybe ya got time for 3. I remember when
we discovered we had time for 4! After the cycle
peaked and dropped from 300! Sorry Rex, Dennis agrees,
the idea is doomed! 8-)

  I agree with Steve, ya gotta start on time to finish
on time, Sorry Steve, doomed again!

  I disagree with Katie, the steering committe is
neither fun nor open. Been there, got fired! So now by
the process of reverse doomnation, ya'll can be on
that committee! You're welcome. 8-)  8-)
  [It's called faint praise Katie.]

  Hey, why not bag the run group and "fairness"
concepts and just sell the grids in lots of 50 or
whatever number works best? You could even stagger the
grid sizes to allow a "slow start" for certain
chairmen! 8-) 8-). You wanna run at 2 PM, get in line
early and buy a 2 PM card. 9 AM doen't sell out, no
problem, you get a bit more time to get things going.

=====
Dennis Hale