RE: Okay, how about this?

To: "'ba-autox@autox.team.net'" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Okay, how about this?
From: Carl Merritt <cmerritt@ati.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 20:08:13 -0700
> How about three runs each, limit the entries to 300.

The combination of the two I think is quite excellent.

> why not 300.
> Oh, wait. Someone will have to count more.

We can pre-count cards, and then hand them out one by one, so no extra
counting load for the registration people.

> Three runs is best, because on days with lower turnouts, we
> can have FUN RUNS!

And fun runs are a wonderful and highly under rated thing.  Personally, I
find I learn MUCH more on fun runs, drop my times by far more per run, and
generally have more FUN than the regular competitive 3 or 4 runs.  I would
be especially happy if sacrificing my 4th run in the morning allows me to
easily buy pre-lunch-break fun runs (registration volume permitting of
course).  How to make our rookies more competitive on a national level?
Give them 3 runs like at the Nationals, and give them as many opportunities
for fun runs as possible.

So I would vote (if I was a voting member of the steering committee, heh),
to both reduce runs to 3, AND limit registration to 300 total cards, with
separate pools of 150 cards and registration times for morning and afternoon
run groups.

And if some people are STILL paranoid about not getting their money's worth
from SFR events with just 3 runs, why not cut the SFR member event fee by
$5?  That makes 6 runs for $40, and considering the turn outs lately I
really doubt the slight loss of revenue would be noticed much.

-Carl Merritt
(yeah, okay okay okay...I'll get out from behind my computer and come to the
next committee meeting, sheesh...  =)