Re: can't get it into 1st when rolling faster than 10mph

To: "Michael R. Clements" <mrc01@flash.net>
Subject: Re: can't get it into 1st when rolling faster than 10mph
From: Bill Hamburgen 650-617-3329 FAX -3374 <billh@pa.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 12:13:29 -0700
Michael,  Have you tried double-clutching?  You'll probably find
that lugging in 2nd gives faster times, but it's nice to be able
to grab 1st if you really need it.

Just in case you're not familiar with the practice, a double-clutch
2nd-to-1st downshift is done as follows:
  1 - push in clutch, shift 2nd-to-neutral, release clutch
  2 - blip throttle momentarily (to match revs in next lower gear)
  3 - push in clutch, shift neutral-to-1st, release clutch
With a little practice, it can be pretty quick.  If your pedals are
positioned and adjusted correctly, you can can use the ball of your
right foot to brake while you use the right side (or heel) to blip
the throttle.  This is the "heel-and-toe" manuver.

I used to be really good at this when I owned a 1955 Porsche with
a tired 1st gear synchroniser.  The car had lived the first 10
years and 30k miles of its life in the US Virgin Islands.
4th gear was indeed virgin.

/Bill