Re: best line

To: lollipop@ricochet.net
Subject: Re: best line
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrc01@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 16:24:00 -0700
Sure, the rear end ratio would be included if one is measuring
the total gear ratio from the crankshaft to the wheel. That would
be the transmission ratio multiplied by the differential ratio.
For example, in my RX-7 1st gear is 3.483 and 4.1, which amounts
to 14.2803, which means 225 ft. lbs. at the crank is converted to
3,213 ft. lbs. at the wheel. Incidentally, divide that torque by
the wheel radius, divide by the mass of the car and you have more
than 1 g of acceleration in 1st gear which thanks to lofty rotary
redlines goes to just over 40 mph.

Too bad I can't get it into 1st when it's rolling anything faster
than 10 miles per hour.