RE: driving to events on race tires

To: "Donald R McKenna" <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: driving to events on race tires
From: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 18:49:51 -0800
>The last issue is that some of the softer tread compounds really pick up
and
>retain significant amounts of small rock, glass and other debris. At the
>least, this is a nuisance requiring diligent regular removal of the debris.
>And, on tires without steel belts, puncture potential is increased because
>the sharp small pieces can more easilly penetrate the casing.

While I agree with this philosophically, I have driven on Hoosier radials to
probably 80% of my events since they came out, and the only puncture I've
had was a bolt that would have gone through any tire.  Fix a Flat got me
home and the surly tire guys (tire guys hate Fix a Flat goo inside tires)
patched it with no problem; ran the tire to cord.

KeS

(My spare tire solution is a can of Fix a Flat, AAA+ membership, and a cell
phone...)