Re: driving to events on race tires

To: "Bay Area Team.Net" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: driving to events on race tires
From: "Boris Elpiner" <boriselp@altavista.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 14:34:11 -0800
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@bigfoot.com>
<snip> While I agree with this philosophically, I have driven on Hoosier
radials to
> probably 80% of my events since they came out, and the only puncture I've
> had was a bolt that would have gone through any tire.  <snip>

I recall driving to San Berdoo with Perry Kincy a couple of years ago. Perry
was well prepared as usual, a new set of Hoosiers on the car, two older ones in
the car, and few cans of Bud of course:-). I'm not sure he even had street
tires for the Camaro, and I don't think anything other than Bud was in Perry's
cooler:-). So we drove on Hoosier's to So. Cal, run National Tour and then
drove back to SF. On the way home, it's started to sprinkle. Perry didn't even
noticed it and certainly didn't lift until it really started to get really wet.
I was getting a bit uncomfortable going at somewhat illegal speeds on Hoosiers
in the wet, but not Perry.  To make a long story short, we've made it home with
no problems.  Kids DON'T try it at home:-).

Perry, if you're still on this list, how are you? We missed you.

Boris Elpiner
PS. I hope to drive on Hoosiers to 3COM park on Sunday, but I will not do it if
it rains. Katie,  PLEASE!!!  I really want to try my new toy.:-)