Re: road conditions in Kansas - Turnpike flood, Forbes tip

To: ".Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: road conditions in Kansas - Turnpike flood, Forbes tip
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 18:07:04 -0500
If you come down 81 to Salina, then east, there are two construction
projects ongoing. They're not bad at all, IMHO.

One begins at Salina and goes east for nine miles. The other begins around
Maple Hill and also goes for about nine miles.

Speed limit through them is 60 mph, and both mostly seem to maintain that.
Just drove through both of them, both ways, this weekend. I still made it
from Topeka home to Salina in about 90 minutes. Actually, I've been through
both several times this summer, both for weekend events at Heartland Park
and Forbes and others further east, as well as midweek for other business
down there. Transit through the zones was almost always right at the 60
mark.

Late news: Flooding from massive rains this weekend have washed out part of
the Kansas Turnpike south of Emporia. This would affect those coming to
Topeka up I-35 from the south or southwest, through Wichita. After a summer
almost totally dry, this weekend we got long and steady rain that began
Saturday morning and was still dribbling some Sunday evening. In the Emporia
area, the TV news said tonight, they got 6 to 12 inches of rain this
weekend. A small creek, which flows through a culvert under the Turnpike,
overflowed bigtime and suddenly, washing away several cars and causing at
least four fatalities. The turnpike is open, at least one lane each
direction, as repairs are being made. I have no idea -- it's probably too
soon to know, really -- of how the traffic flow is through that area or what
it will be a week from now.

Hot tip to avoid that heavy Topeka Blvd. traffic: If you come into Topeka
from almost any direction -- from west via I-70, from north via US-75, from
south or east on the Turnpike, there's a new, quick way to Forbes. Get on
US-75 south (which is exit 5 off I-470 [Topeka Blvd. is exit 6]) which is a
new 70 mph 4-lane. Do not take the first exit (57th St.) that says it's the
one for Forbes and the Combat Air Museum, etc., as that sends you through
Pauline and much of the Topeka Blvd. traffic you were trying to avoid in the
first place. Instead, take the second exit (77th St.). Turn left. You are on
Gary Ormsby Blvd, which is the road that goes into Heartland Park. Go
straight at the traffic light and across Topeka Blvd., then almost
immediately turn left onto J Street into Forbes Field. J Street goes right
past the MTAA Building (Registration) and the Nationals gate.

Rocky Entriken