Re: road conditions in Kansas - Turnpike flood, Forbes tip

To: "Matt Murray" <mattm@optonline.net>, ".Team.Net"
Subject: Re: road conditions in Kansas - Turnpike flood, Forbes tip
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 03:24:51 -0500
No it hasn't. Perhaps you jest, but the jest has a reasonable answer.

It was the one just before it, or just after it, or somewhere between the
two.

And it'll be the same two next summer, but the other side of the highway.

Basically, Kansas is re-inventing I-70 from Topeka to Salina, doing it in
small chunks -- which has as much to do with the highway budget as with
anything else. Usually it is a section they can get done over the
good-weather portion of a year, then the other side of the same road the
next year, then on to further progress somewhere else!

But these couple of 9-milers are easier to get through than the 17-miler
that was shortly before Topeka the past couple of years! And at least
they've raised the construction zone speed limit to 60 from 55. Amazing what
a difference 5 mph makes! The flow through them is steady enough that often
I can set my cruise on 59 or 60 and make it all the way through.

And on the portions that are finished -- more finished now than waiting to
be done -- the nice new smooth concrete is a joy to drive on. The
trans-Kansas trek is a lot nicer than it used to be -- not just I-70 but
also I-135 (Wichita-Salina) and the US-81 extension to the Nebraska line,
both of which also have gotten significant upgrades. I used to avoid US-81
north to York, Neb., at all costs -- it was a downright dangerous 2-lane.
Now it's mostly a lovely 4-lane (that part in Nebraska which is still 2-lane
is mostly lightly trafficked and with reasonable passing zones) and my route
of choice.

--Rocky