Re: Polyurethane Bushings on 92 Civic

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Polyurethane Bushings on 92 Civic
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 00:00:27 EST
In a message dated 3/24/03 4:20:55 AM Pacific Standard Time,
civicr1992@yahoo.com writes:

> I just discovered that my Compensator Arm has ripped bushing (rubber is
> ripped from the outside metal sleeve).  Would you recommend just replacing
> Compensator Arm OR install Prothane (Co. name) bushings in those Arms?  Is
> it worth it? The Compensator Arms control rear toe, so would be the
> presence of stiff polyurethane be benefitiary?

Those large bushings in the middle of the trailing arms are famous for
ripping out.  I'd go polyurethane.

> Also, for AutoXers, what rear toe-in setting do you recommend?  Manual says
> 3 mm +2 mm / -1mm.   If you have more/less toe, how does it make the car
> feel?

Less toe-in in the rear will make that particular chassis more neutral, until
it starts oversteering. If I remember correctly, 1/8" - 1/4" total toe-in was
about right on an '88 CRX-Si, which might have been a bit more tailhappy than
your car.  Have fun...

Charlie Davis