Re: OFF TOPIC: Cd repair kits?

To: ax-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OFF TOPIC: Cd repair kits?
From: Jim Ochi <jim_ochi@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 12:23:41 -0800
>Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:29:23 -0500
>From: "Eric Linnhoff" <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>
>
>Anyone use one that they like?  I have a bunch of older CDs that have a lot
>on minute scratches due to loaning them out or purchasing them used.

I had some CDs with minute scratches, too.  Mostly from putting them down
on a desk instead of back in their jewel boxes.  First, I used some
plexiglass polish that I had kicking around - worked fairly well, except
for a few CDs where the scratches were deeper.  So, I looked around,
spotted my box of car detailing stuff, and got out some fine-cut rubbing
compound.  Followed that up with some finer grit polish, then some swirl
remover - just like you do when you buff out a car.  Worked really well.

I don't know what the long term effects are of the petroleum-based car
detailing products on the CD stuff, but after I was done I thoroughly
washed off the CDs with soap and warm water.  So far (a year or so), they
play back perfectly, haven't hazed up, cracked, or shown any other signs of
degrading.

Anyway, YMMV...

Jim Ochi
jim_ochi@yahoo.com