RE: PA system for autocross....recommendations?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: PA system for autocross....recommendations?
From: "Paul Andrews" <emosound@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:34:21 -0500
Depends on what you want to spend.  I put together a very inexpensive
and portable PA for Philly Region last year. It included 4 Radio Shack
"powerhorns" mounted on top of the region truck to cover the nearfield.
I used them because they are: ridiculously cheap, actually a good EV
speaker, easy to mount, easy to replace, fairly weatherproof.  $40 each.
For placement in the paddock and elsewhere, I spec'd EV Cobraflex IIB
horns along with 60 watt drivers from www.partsexpress.com.  These
horns, and slightly larger CobraflexIII, are commonly used for outdoor
paging at racetracks.  With the horns up on speaker stands, they project
quite far, and you can buy as many as you need to cover the area you
have.
$120 for each horn, $170 for each driver.
For an amp, I spec'd a Mackie M1400I amp (from www.sweetwater.com or any
decent music store).  It has flexible inputs with high-pass filters,
plenty of power, and it's only around $600.
Get a small Mackie mixer like the DFX6 ($189) to plug a few mics and a
music source into, and a compressor like the dBx 266XL ($149), and
you're set.
A budget system like this would under $2000 after stands, wiring, a rack
to mount things in, etc.

Paul Andrews
#42 CS '94 "Really Blue" Miata